Monday, April 19, 2010

End Of The Season Depression Starts!!

Now starts my 9 month long depression. I still have the feeling of the elements on my face from my last few days on the hill at Hoodoo Ski area in Oregon. I've blogged on this subject before, living in the Southwest, my ski seasons are very short. If I'm lucky, I get between the 1st of January until about the middle of March with a huge finisher at Hoodoo on the first weekend of April. This season has been no different.

I was able to get 14 full play days on the snow before the fun meter was shut down. Only 14 days due to poor snow and this pesky day job that eats up my time during the week. I started my season on Dec 11, 2009 at Angel Fire Ski resort. One of my only game-over days at 11:30am when I caught a down hill edge and was thrown to the ground faster then a run-away skier from Texas, cost me a bunch of bruised ribs down my right side and kept me from peek playing performance for several weekends. I was able to complete 3 trips to Hoodoo this season and had 2 incredible powder days. Was not able to get anywhere new to play this season except Elk Ridge in AZ this season but we didn't really play there as much as we planted a seed for future growth. The day job kept me close to Abq this season and the snow overall was not that great. We completed 4 demo days at our favorite local area Sipapu Ski area and spent some really great time on the hill with some really great friends.

High points of the season where my new Brawler. While the Brawler is an incredible bike, it rides very different than most other skibikes. Took me most of the season but really started to connect with the bike. Another high point was meeting new friends from New Zealand and ridding their new equipment the 3ski. I was not sure how I would like the equipment. I typically find the Trike style skibikes not in my favor but only after 15 feet on the 3ski, I had grown man giggling coming out of my mouth!!! On my 3rd run, I was taking the 3ski down stuff I was not comfortable ridding on my own equipment on.Great piece of equipment, can not wait to get additional ones in and work them in our demo fleet. Lastly, finishing up the season at Hoodoo has become one of my bitter-sweet events of the season. First, I love heading up to Hoodoo for a visit. The folks at Hoodoo are fantastic and the owners and employees are even better. I am hugely excited to head up there but very sad knowing the last Sunday we are there, its all going to be over very shortly!!! Sunday April 4, 2010 was no different.

There was my season in a nut-shell. Time to get grieving and start the healing process. Only 9 months until I get to do it all over again. I really need to find a place with more winter!!!

Come on 2010/2011 season...just got excited about the new DH bikes on the front cover
of Mountain Bike Action. There is a little life after skibiking.

My name is Randy, and I am a Skibike junkie!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment